The Australian Poll Dorset Association

Member login

Make this summer a STARTECT® summer

THE IMPACT OF ROUNDWORMS
The impact of roundworms represents the highest single animal heath cost to the Australian sheep industry, estimated at about $6 per head, or an average of $6,000 for each mob of 1,000 sheep.

About 80% of the annual cost is associated with lost production and the remaining 20% with the costs of control2. Dr Matt Playford of Dawbuts was the lead investigator in a national survey of drench resistance in sheep, published in the Australian Veterinary Journal.

“Widespread resistance was found to almost all of the available drenches. Our study found resistance to white drenches (benzimidazoles) on 96% and resistance to triples on 28% of Australian sheep properties,”3 he said.

WHY IS SUMMER DRENCHING SO IMPORTANT?
A strategic approach, combined with tactical drenching, is the key to effective worm control. Drenching at critical times such as a weaning or a summer drench with a highly-effective drench such as Startect®, will reduce larval contamination of pastures4,5, for the benefit of the whole flock and can delay the development of resistance to other drench classes when used in rotation. Combined with tactical drenching, supported by regular faecal egg counts (FEC), and carefully planned grazing management, the incorporation of Startect into the annual worm management program will reduce costs and support increased productivity across the board. “Research clearly shows that by using a highly effective drench such as Startect in your drench rotation, you not only gain productivity benefits but you will also enhance the sustainability of your worm control program,” Dr Playford said.

STARTECT – A HIGHLY-EFFECTIVE OPTION IS AVAILABLE
Derquantel, a member of the new spiroindole (SI) class of drench, is the only commercially available anthelmintic option to which resistance has not been identified in Australia or overseas. Startect combines derquantel with abamectin – a powerful macrocyclic lactone (ML)- to create a highly-effective, combination drench. This powerful combination can substantially delay the development of resistance when used as part of a strategic worm control program6.

Zoetis Australia Pty Ltd. Level 6, 5 Rider Boulevard, Rhodes NSW 2138. © 2016 Zoetis Inc. All rights reserved. August 2016. ZL0585.
References:
1. Lane J, Jubb, Shephard R, Webb-Ware J and Fordyce G. (2015). MLA Final Report: Priority list of endemic diseases for the red meat industries. MLA.
2. J Lane, T Jubb, R Shephard, J Webb-Ware, G Fordyce (2015) B.AHE.0010 Priority list of endemic diseases for the red meat industries. Meat & Livestock Australia, North Sydney
3. Playford et al. (2014). Prevalence and severity of anthelmintic resistance in ovine gastrointestinal nematodes in Australia. (2009-2012). AVJ. 92: 464-71.
4. WormBoss Worm Control Program Tasmania. http://www.wormboss.com. au/programs/tas.php (viewed 16 June 2016).
5. Love S.(2102). Don’t import drench resistance. http://www.wormboss.com.au/news/articles/drenchresistance/dont-import-drench-resistance.php (viewed 16 June 2016)
6. Leathwick, D. M., Modelling benefits of a new class of anthelmintic in combination. Vet Parasitol. 2012, 186: 93-100.