The Australian Poll Dorset Association

Member login


42943157_2075502845814950_5460287516491907072_n Squiers family win Governor’s Cup at Perth Royal Show Congratulations to the Squiers family of Shirlee Downs and Dongadilling studs for winning the Governor’s Cup at the recent Perth Royal Show. This cup is awarded each year to the exhibitor with the most points in the livestock exhibits and rewards both excellence and consistency while also promoting the quest for higher standards. The Governor’s […]
Hamish McKindlay (right), Glenthompson, Vic, with his two boys Archie and Spencer. Fast growth genetics deliver sucker success When it comes to rams, Poll Dorsets meet the desired criteria of lamb producer Hamish McKindlay, Glenthompson, Vic. Hamish buys mixed age Merino ewes and joins them to Poll Dorset terminal sires to produce first-cross lambs which are sold as suckers to the store market through AuctionsPlus. Along with partner Belinda Cant, and his two […]
It’s Ewe Time forums return A new series of one of the sheep industry’s most popular extension and adoption programs, It’s Ewe Time, is being rolled out in August, designed to increase producer awareness of the principles, practices and tools of sheep enterprise profitability and productivity. A joint initiative of Meat & Livestock Australia and Australian Wool Innovation, the forums […]
PollDorset2012_logo_blue 2017 Ram Sale Reports Summary results for on property Poll Dorset sales across Australia
2017 APDAS Poll Dorsets top choice for Fleurieu production Poll Dorsets have proved the top choice for prime lamb production as part of Steve Eckert’s sheep and wool enterprise at Belvidere via Langhorne Creek, on the Fleurieu Peninsula in South Australia.  Every year 800 to 1200 fine wool Merino ewes are mated to Poll Dorset rams, varying dependent on seasonal and commodity price fluctuations. […]
DSC_0692 Poll Dorsets prime lamb pick for Toongi producers Farming is in the blood for Megan and Michael Brennan, Wambangalang, Toongi, New South Wales, with Megan a fifth-generation producer. While she only recently took up farming full time on the 680-hectare property 30 kilometres south of Dubbo, agriculture had been a long-time interest. Her father Mark Gavel moved to the Dubbo region in the […]
apda-startect Make this summer a STARTECT® summer THE IMPACT OF ROUNDWORMS The impact of roundworms represents the highest single animal heath cost to the Australian sheep industry, estimated at about $6 per head, or an average of $6,000 for each mob of 1,000 sheep. About 80% of the annual cost is associated with lost production and the remaining 20% with the costs […]
article_2016-apdas-case-study-brett-johnstonebrett-4 Over-the-hooks switch benefits NSW producer A switch to over-the-hook selling has led to big changes in Brett Johnstone’s prime lamb enterprise Malmo Partners at Woodstock, near Cowra, New South Wales. Using feedback has meant he has been able to tailor his Poll Dorset-sired lambs to match exactly what his local processor, Breakout River Meats, requires. “I’m convinced we get a premium […]
Poll Dorset Logo Filler Image Poll Dorset-cross lambs to $181 at record yarding at Hamilton POLL Dorset cross lambs were at the centre of the record yarding of 62,187 lambs at the Hamilton Regional Livestock exchange in Victoria’s Western Districts on December 14, with Kerr & Co Hamilton Livestock Manager Craig Pertzel saying the majority of the lambs sold were Poll Dorset crosses. The sale broke an Australian record for […]
murray-brown Top drop of lambs despite floods at Glamis Water sports took on a new meaning for Bedgerabong producer Murray Brown, New South Wales, last month with the family ski boat being used to tow several ‘tinnies’ full of lambs for sale across 1.2-metre-deep floodwater at his ‘Glamis’ property. About two-thirds of the property flooded for six weeks in September and October. He lost […]