Where fat is laid down in the live animal, either within the muscle (intramuscular fat) or around it (subcutaneous fat), plays vastly different roles when it comes to eating quality and carcase yield.
Poll Dorsets are the breed of choice for a growing number of farmers across Australia, Here our members tell us why.
Buyers I know – whether chasing trade or export lambs – all prefer the Poll Dorset first-cross, which I think comes down to the lamb’s shape, fat content, yield and clean, white skin
Wagga Wagga, NSW
Formed in 1954, we are the largest representative association of Poll Dorset breeders in Australia.As a member you can:
- Breed, register and sell pedigreed Poll Dorsets
- Benefits derived from APDA’s marketing, promotion and communications activities targeted to further grow and develop the Poll Dorset breed
- Ability to certify animal health (eg, Brucellosis Accreditation)
- Exhibit sheep at various agricultural shows and events
- Sell rams at multi-vendor events eg. Australasian Championships
- PLUS MORE
Please support our generous sponsors...